View Single Post
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 14:33   #1
Rmbillington

Default Headlights and bulbs

Hi

I was wondering if someone could help, as I’m not really sure how to find out the information. I’ve searched around but drawing a lot of blanks.

I have an ex police v70, 2013. This has the bi-xenon headlights (just had to swap the d1s bulbs) as drivers side failed, which has led me to realise there may be something funny going on with my headlights.

To start with I switched on the headlights and left them on, firstly I was coming from a car with auto lights and tended to forget, secondly the car had the DRLs deactivated by the police, so went with headlights on. That was until I replaced a bulb and realised how expensive they are.

So the next couple of days, I drove with the lights turned off. In busy traffic around town I’d leave gaps and flash people to let them pull out or cut across. But on more than one occasion they looked blankly and didn’t move.

Turns out my headlights don't flash, unless I have them turned on.

I can’t work out what’s meant to happen when, and without know what's meant to happen I'm struggling to sort it.

With lights off, when I ‘flash’ them, nothing happens. (I’m aware the xenon bulbs won’t flash as they don’t like the quick on/off)

Side lights on works fine. Dim middle bulb and orange outer bulbs come on. Again, flash does nothing.

Headlights on, xenon bulbs come on. Flashing or using high beam moves the flap inside the bulb, this works. But no other bulbs come on. (Not sure if high beam is supposed to get another bulb or not)

I’ve swapped the H7 bulbs, which are inboard of the xenon bulbs. Still nothing.

Am I missing something? Which bulbs do what?

Being Ex-police there’s a bunch of extra wires and joins inside the headlights, just no idea which bits should be working when.

Thanks

Rich

Last edited by Rmbillington; Jan 15th, 2020 at 15:27.
Rmbillington is offline   Reply With Quote