Thread: B+E Licence
View Single Post
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 12:11   #22
subaqua
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
I have just found this on the Ivor Williams website:

"My vehicle has a maximum towing weight of 1500kg and my trailer has a maximum gross weight of 2000kg. Can I still tow this trailer?

Yes, as long as the unladen weight of the trailer you are towing combined with the trailer load does not exceed 1500kg, then you can tow this trailer with your vehicle.
There is no legal requirement to downrate the plate on your trailer."

No reference to MAM or gross weights, just vehicle unladen weight plus trailer load.
Are Ivor Williams correct?
using olde fashioned terms the unladen weight of the trailer is the "tare" the load is the "Net" the total is the "gross".

so if the total of the trailer and load does not exceed 1500Kg then the trailer can be used with that vehicle. I haven't taken much notice of the B+E stuff as i have it "grandfathered in" on my licence.

didn't really take much notice of towing weights and ratios till i bought a Volvo as the last vehicle i had would pull 3500Kg without breaking sweat. Only legal way for me to tow more was to connect trailer brakes to the cars braking system and the UK model I had didn't have the capability to do this ( the US model did )

the V70 i have now is rated for towing 1800Kg
the stuff below may have been linked to but here it is again. Taken DIrectly from Direct.Gov webpages.

Maximum authorised massThe term maximum authorised mass (MAM), used in the context of driving licences, is the maximum weight of a vehicle or trailer including the maximum load that can be carried safely while used on the road. This is also known as gross vehicle weight (GVW) or permissible maximum weight.
Unladen weightThe unladen weight of any vehicle is the vehicles own weight when not carrying any goods or burden. This is:

•inclusive of the body and all parts which are necessary to or ordinarily used with the vehicle or trailer when working on a road
exclusive of fuel and, in the case of an electrically powered vehicle, the batteries

Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats
Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

For example:

•a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle
Whereas

•the same vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes when coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.5 tonnes would fall within category B+E. This is because although the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is within the 3.5 tonnes MAM limit, the MAM of the trailer is more than the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle
•Vehicle manufacturers normally recommend a maximum weight of trailer appropriate to their vehicle. Details can usually be found in the vehicle's handbook or obtained from car dealerships. The size of the trailer recommended for an average family car with an unladen weight of around 1 tonne would be well within the new category B threshold.

from 2013 new rules apply to those taking Tests after 09 Jan
Cars
The term maximum authorised mass (MAM) means the total weight of the vehicle plus the maximum load it can carry safely.

B Motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg and designed and constructed for the carriage of no more than eight passengers in addition to the driver, with a trailer up to 750kg Min Age 17*
B Motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg and designed and constructed for the carriage of no more than eight passengers in addition to the driver, with a trailer over 750kg, where the combination MAM is not exceeding 4250kg Min Age 17**
B+E Combinations of vehicles consisting of a vehicle in category B and a trailer, where the combination does not come within category B and the MAM of the trailer or semi-trailer does not exceed 3500kg Min Age 17*

*Age 16 if you are getting Disability Living Allowance (mobility allowance) at the higher rate.

**New element of category B (UK will not be taking this up. To drive vehicles within this definition, entitlement B+E will be needed).

Last edited by subaqua; Sep 7th, 2012 at 15:04.
subaqua is offline   Reply With Quote