Thread: V70 Brakes: - Handbrake Woes!
View Single Post
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 13:27   #28
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
Hi Darryl,

Yes i meant lightly pulling up on the handbrake, not trying to lock the wheels ! (i actually doubt its capable of that anyway!) you can notice quite a difference in the noise if the car has been left standing for a few days, so I do think that rust must build up on the drum, a bit like if you wash the car and the discs get wet youll have some 'rust' happening on the discs which gets removed the first time you brake (i usually make sure the discs get dried off by taking the car for a short run & using the brakes after ive washed it).
Hi,
oh yes i knew that you meant doing this procedure lightly/gently and if i were you i would continue doing it. My drums had a small build up of rust on the inside of the rim of the drum where the shoes made no contact.

I cleaned all of this off before installing all the new parts and once assembled i did the above procedure to make sure that nothing was going to foul or come loose and then finally readjusted the handbrake.

What i cannot understand is that in all the years that i have been driving
( over 40 ) i have never personally had a vehicle where the friction material has parted from the backing plate and yet Volvo seem to manage to get such crap adhesive that this is a regular EXPENSIVE failure.
Why on earth did they not simply have the friction material riveted on the shoes ( like they used to be when drum brakes were common place ) when these problem first became apparent to them.

Even though i have all new parts in i cannot say that i am now relaxed because there is obviously an inherent fault in manufacture.

Cheers Darryl
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote