Old Aug 12th, 2019, 16:40   #9
turboboy
Master Member

Default Key fob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pff View Post
The 98 V70 uses a volvo scan tool like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZEoZDjvNMM
and requires a 4 digit pin to enable the car to accept new remotes.

in theory if you know your pin you can program it yourself with a generic obd2 usb type interface e.g. an elm327 ebay job.

you can work out the frequency of the fob based on the part number on the back of the case, however if the case has broken and been replaced the new part number will most likely be different.

the antenna for the fob should be a box attached to the back of the instrument cluster, it will have a big colourful number on it to tell you the frequency it is expecting, but that doesn't help much when choosing a fob.

I think its mostly region specific so as long as its from here and you don't buy one imported from america or japan or something you should be ok.
My fob has a part number on the back but I presumed that was for the case only. There was a white label on the back but it has all been worn away so nothing is readable.

I did extend the antenna some time ago and took photographs so I'll dig those out to check the details rather than take the dash pad off.

From what you say I guess it may be worth taking a chance on used fob and asking my local dealer to code it. I've done without a spare fob since I bought the car several years ago (have a spare key though) but have always had it in the back of my mind as to how I would deal with losing the fob.

Thanks for your reply.

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote