View Single Post
Old May 19th, 2003, 12:56   #2
johnw

Default RE: 340 DL CVT iregular running at stationair running

Theo
Mine did this! The fault (in my case) was a dirty electrical connection on the idle solenoid on the carb.
The idle solenoid is there to prevent the car running on when the igntiion is switched off, but it does a good job of preventing idling if it gets no volts.
Clean the spade connectors on the engine side of the carb, hidden under the air cleaner, of course. Also check the fuses.

Others have posted further down the page on the subject of 340s shaking their carbs to pieces so while you've got the air cleaner off check all the screws on the carb.

Alternatively this can be caused by air leaks into the manifold. Check the carb to manifold nuts but don't overtighten. Also check your vacuum system is not leaking as this would also let air into the manifold.

I heard of someone who had a replacement breather hose (this is a 10mm dia hose running from the manifold round to the rocker cover) and the original hose contains a restrictor. If you blow through this hose you can check whether the restrictor is there. Don't suck - engine fumes taste horrible. Replacement restrictor are available.

A bit of a screed but this should kepp you occupied for a few hours.