Thread: V70 for towing
View Single Post
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 19:44   #10
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Just to add my £2.50 in here...

- Agree completely that a positive nose weight it crucial for a stable towing set-up, as is balancing your trailer.

- 7% is ideal, in Australia the nose weight is legally required to be a minimum of 7% of the trailer weight

- Although some Volvo models are rated quite low - the cars are structurally capable of much more and in other markets the identical vehicles are rated higher - for example the Mk 1 XC90 is rated 90Kg in the UK - 180 Kg in AU.

- You also need to be very careful of towball height on multi-axle trailers - too low a ball can result in a negative nose weight and that is really bad...

I occasionally tow cars on trailers with my 2003 XC90 and probably with 100-150Kg nose weight. The Nivomats just deal with it so it doesn't affect the ride height and it's very stable. More stable than if I was running at say 50Kg.

FYI the bigger Land Rovers' have a max nose weight of 250 Kg with a fixed towbar, 150 Kg with a detachable job.

I'v never heard of anyone being prosecuted for exceeding the nose weight, so whilst I would never recommend anyone else breaks the law, I wouldn't think twice about towing with a V70 with say 100 Kg on the ball if everything else was within balance.
Mines a 24 year old discovery 1 300 tdi. 113bhp and thirsty with it. Mind you not as bad as a mates 3.0 litre v6 rangerover vogue, 350 bhp and 12 to the gallon.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote