View Single Post
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 21:42   #34
duke1
mad mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboboy View Post
Good to know that the filter change has resolved the problem. Was the job straight forward?

Changed the V70's this morning and was concerned that I might have a problems such as releasing the pipes, but as it turned out the problem I encountered was unexpected.

Sprayed the mounting screw with rust release a couple of days ago so didn't expect to have such trouble undoing it and was worried the nut would strip or break off. Fortunately it didn't.

Releasing the pipes and refitting to the new filter was easy. Trouble was getting the mounting bracket screw back as the holes did not line up easily due to the bracket being slightly distorted when releasing, resulting in the screw constantly cross threading. Finally resolved it by using a slightly longer screw to engage the nut without having to press the bracket together with anything other than my fingers.
hi it was an easy job i guess the previous owner had the same trouble as you and had thrown away the original bracket and the fuel filter was held on with cable ties and had no guard or protection i have made a new ali cover for it just to make sure its safe,the clips are a little scary and like you i was worried something would break but looks like i was lucky and all looks good in that department,however the cooling system has again leaked into the passenger footwell,it seems the only pipe or part of the cooling system i didnt change the bulkhead fitting was leaking so today i bypassed the heater and have removed the silly coupling cut the pipes and made ready to replace the coupling with heater hose straight through i just hope and pray thats it then im fed up playing under the dash now!
i still dont believe just how many o rings and bits of crappy plastic they can put on one part that just needed hoses?daft design imo esp not having a heater bypass control,even crappy old bl minis had a bypass valve there needed in warmer climates or car is a cooker!of course it would help if i had working ac but thats looking like a pipe dream atm!take care and happy motoring,peace