Thread: Amazon: - New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122
View Single Post
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 11:08   #92
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
An interesting question, Alan. After considerable reflection, the short answer is probably not, but only because the car is a manual. I was in my 40s when I owned PGE; now, well into my 8th decade and having only driven autos for over 20 years, I would not want to return to stirring my own cogs! That is in no way intended as a criticism of the 4 + O/D 'box, which was a very sweet unit that suited the car well, more a reflection of the advances of tempus fugit - mine, not the car's!

When I bought PGE, it was in near show condition, having won awards in the past. For three years it became my daily driver and essential business tool, so was kept in good - but by no means show - condition. It took us to Norway, Sweden and Denmark, often four up, regularly did three-figure daily commutes and, for a period, a weekly one to Kent.

While the car did not have an easy life in my ownership, it was running well and in good general condition when I sold it back in '98. I understood that the new owner intended to use it as his daily driver, which is why I am a little surprised that there is no record of it after only a year. All that I can think of is that it either suffered a catastrophic failure (unlikely) and was taken off the road, or involved in a major accident, with the same result. One can only speculate.

Now, if ever you were to consider parting with the R.B. ...

Having never owned an Amazon myself, I'm already captivated by Great Aunt Maud, and look forward to reading of her adventures in your hands in these pages. I did once come close. Back in '83 or '84 I answered an ad for a one owner, 1968 (F) 123 GT up at £300. The chap was buying a then-new Mercedes 190E and for some reason didn't want to do a P/Ex. Fool that I was (isn't hindsight wonderful?) I rejected the car on rusty rear wheel arches!

Best wishes to you and GAM.

Regards, John.
Reading through your post John, i detect a hankering for the spiritual successor to "Peggy". With that in mind, you may be better finding your own 240GLT auto with the later 4-speed auto box (4th is an overdrive ratio), i think 1984 on had that box. Perhaps something to think about?

As for passing over certain cars on something that in the great scheme of things is relatively minor (but at the time was significant), i think we've all done that. The last Datsun i owned, had i completed the restoration instead of letting my ex-wife talk me into selling it, would now be worth ~£19k according to the latest Practical Classics price guide. Just one example of passing over a car that later became valuable for me, there are many others and it's frightening how much they are worth now!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: