View Single Post
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 14:42   #19
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAlicesDad View Post
I've just received two separate recall letters for cooling system bleed and a stand alone software upgrade to ECM for a 'plastic inlet manifold' that may melt and deform.
My car had a EGR fault in April 2019 that cost about £1700 to fix, including a new inlet manifold and software 'upgrade' (ie take away low speed torque).

Two things come to my mind:

Could the fault I had have been caused by the problem that this recall is addressing? If so, should the fix have been free of charge?

Could I only need a stand alone software fix because they know my inlet manifold has already been changed (at my cost)?
Maybe, although the recall for the manifold deformation/fire risk did also include cleaning the EMAP and TMAP sensors. My manifold was not deformed, but the dealer found that the integral 'swirl valves' had become sticky; unfortunately this was outside free replacement under recall, so I had to make a huge fuss to Volvo UK to eventually get a free replacement. I was lucky that the dealer gave me a lot of help in dealing with Volvo.