View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2019, 07:20   #7
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Mmmmmm

Thanks for the thoughts. When the HG was first done liners were inspected with head off and the second time round (when the heater hose split - and when driving in to the mecco) the gauge never QUITE reached the red (and I DO have pressure in the cooling system) so I am cautiously optimistic about the block/liners.

IMHO the Toyota engine is not really an option, and to put a B230FT or B234F+T in would require new engine management as well.

But what you say about the gearbox is comforting. I can get the PNP switch done later.

So I reckon it's spend between £500 and £800 getting the head gasket done - belts plugs and all that stuff was done when the head last came off so no extras there - and wait and see. And use one of my other Volvos to tow - this one has been a pain with tendency to overheat both engine and gearbox when towing up hills - hence the effing great DO88 radiator and the two effing great atf coolers. And if I am not going to tow with her then I could go back to the standard 960 rad with internal atf cooler although reversing the pipework mods could be a pain in the backside.
940 Sport M90 estate, N reg 100k miles, ex Lovejoy.
960 Estate, N reg, 56k miles, blown up and sold.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rogerthechorister For This Useful Post: