View Single Post
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 07:53   #9
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
What kind of hp are you running currently with your s40? I don’t want to do huge amounts of mods. Stage 1 with upgraded exhaust, intercooler, brakes, wheels and suspension etc. Would shimming the cylinders be advised with any power mods?
To be honest mate I have no idea, car was previously running around 300bhp but it has gone through some major work and hoping to see over 400bhp with a Hybrid K16 being installed.

With those parts you mentioned I recon you should be fine without having to do any engine work, its usually over 300bhp people recommend doing a block mod on these engines.

Yes those mods are perfect really and I was more than happy with that really as the car was way fast enough and handled really well on track.

With your stage 1 map, I would get a custom one done to your car after you have done those mods really.

For exhaust you want to go custom with that 2.5" or 3" should be you selection really.

Intercooler is a must for track days, I run a Bell intercooler which is the largest you can fit in without having to do any bumper cutting but these are very difficult to find now, but there is the D088 intercoolers which are a straight fit for these cars.

As for the brakes, if your car does have the 320.. setup I wouldnt bother upgrading to those and just go straight to a ksport big brake kit. These are esential for track really.

As for wheels these arent so much of an issue really, if you have 18's I would recommend running 235/40. probably the widest you could go before getting any rub. significantly improves front end grip into corners.

Suspension, I wouldnt bother looking at any lowering coils and just go straight to a reputable coilover kit. I am running bilstein b14's but there are a couple others that are also good for these platforms.

If you are picking one up that will be due a timing belt change it is a good idea to get the "Block mod" done at the same time just for peace of mind. But with all the above you should have a weapon on the track.

Just saw where you are and Thruxton isnt that far from you either!

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote