View Single Post
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 18:05   #15
peterskinn

Default XC 70 towbar electrics

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but am delighted to find this thread - which seems to highlight a problem(s) similar to mine....

I've just bought a 2009 XC70 with the Volvo detachable towbar and 13 socket electrics. My Caravan is a 2017 Swift Fairway (Challenger) with LED lights.

When connected, I am getting symptoms as follows:-

1. The Caravan sidelights are continuously flickering

2. The indicators work at a faster than normal speed

3. There is no specific indication on the instrument cluster when indicating and no audible signal (I am assuming there should be?)

4. I get two warning displays "Trailer Brake lights" and "Trailer Indicator Bulb" I can "Read" these and they go off but of course return if the car is stopped.

Having said all of the above ALL the lights on the 'van operate as they should do, including fog and reverse lights.....

I have initially removed and checked out the wiring loom from the control box in the boot to the 13pin socket, suspecting dirty contact and short circuits (it's apparent that the towbar has been little used) However everything checks out fine and insulation within the socket is in good order.

Having read this thread I'd be pretty sure that the root cause is the sensing current operating the LED's and the lack of filament bulbs "fooling" the car into thinking that the trailer has faulty bulbs??

Is it also possible that the car software is out of date??

Can the sensing circuit be removed/disabled without sending the canbus system into a spin?

Any ideas gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

Peter S
peterskinn is offline   Reply With Quote