Thread: C70: - Battery charging
View Single Post
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 21:37   #6
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Modern car batteries shouldn’t need regular top up charges. I’d suggest taking the car to a reputable garage and ask them to check the state of the current battery and the efficiency of the car’s charging system.

Using a charger risks simply masking either a dying battery or a charging system fault. But given how efficient modern alternators are my money is on the battery being tired. Like tyres, brake discs and exhausts batteries have to be viewed as service components that need to be replaced every few years.

Jack
If I were to believe what my Volvo dealer tells me re my 2015/ 14,000 mile V60 Polestar car, I'd say you were wrong !...but I think, well I know you are right !

They tell me the charging programme is so smart that "it does not ever charge the battery fully, 12.1V is OK; don't trust plug in voltmeters as they are not connected directly to the battery"

Shame the"very smart" charging system didn't inform the rest of the car that a low voltage is OK and that it shouldn't indicate a low battery warning and shut off the stereo after about 3 minutes.

I put the battery on charge now every 3-4 days (CTEK 7.0), it reaches an at rest 12.85 V. An optional extra quick connection kit fitted to the battery. The plug in voltmeter always shows 14V + when the engine is running, I suspect a big current drain when the engine is off, the Volvo computer says no ! Echoes of "Little Britain"!

I keep my Saab 9-3 Aero convertible on charge using a Maypole 4A charger; does as good a job as the CTEK and includes the quick connection hardware at one quarter of the cost of the CTEK.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrahamHR For This Useful Post: