View Single Post
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 15:56   #47
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agouti View Post
I agree completely. The Towbar is far stronger than the bit of folded sheet metal it replaced. I hope your bolts were long enough to go through both and have enough thread engagement to avoid smushing the nutserts they go into.

Only downside with the s60 is you are far more likely to crush a reversing sensor if something pushes the bumper in but that's what insurance is for.
I know this is over 2 years old now , but things need clarifying here.
The beam you remove is Boron steel it is extremely hard you can't drill it .( look it up ) Which means it performs like something about 5 mm thick , it is designed to decelerate the car which goes into the back of you before it hits the volvo chassis a further 4 inches in and starts disintegrating .. This greatly softens the impact to the occupants of the car . The towbar is too hard it puts all the crash loads directly into the chassis which causes much more serious whiplash etc to the occupants and will probably write the car off as the chassis both sides will be damaged .
The volvo towbar has been through the volvo safety centre crash test , so volvo know exactly how it performs, any other towbar hasn't of course so it's crash performance is unknown . ..

The crash beam must be refitted .