Thread: 240 General: - Fan belts
View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2018, 09:50   #9
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

That's interesting. I'm relieved to find I am not alone in finding that the listed Volvo belts are not a proper fit on the pulleys, and cause noise as a consequence.

I've tried searching for the 11A1080 ( SEV Marchal ) you suggest for the alternator belts, but it's only listed in Australia, and nowhere actually quotes its dimensions.

There are lots of Gates belts listed on eBay from UK suppliers, and I would recommend no. 6318MC for the steering pump belt. It is 11.9 mm X 950 mm, which is a perfect fit on the pulleys, sitting just flush with the top of the V grooves.

A larger width belt needs to be about 10mm longer to get the same effective length, because the circumference round the outer edge of the pulleys is slightly greater than set deeper in the groove. So the 950 mm Gates is a good replacement for the 938 mm Volvo one.
Unfortunately I can't find any Gates belts listed that would be the right length for the alternator belts. The 11.9 X 950 is slightly too long, and the alternator adjustment won't adjust far enough.
So it needs to be about 920 mm to 930 mm, which just doesn't seem to be available.

But 11.9 mm is definitely the correct belt width. It's 15/32 ", a standard US size, converted to metric.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote