View Single Post
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 12:30   #14
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Gus - When you changed you haldex fluid did you do a number of fluid changes or just a drain and replace?
If it was just the latter, I'd bet a pound to a penny your fluid is still manky.

The colour of your drained fluid resembles the colour of mine when I drained it. I did not need my car for a couple of days so I left the fluid standing overnight and then re-used the upper syphoned liquid and new fluid to "wash out" the haldex unit. I did this a total of about 6 times ( I used about 2 litres of new fluid + the best of the rest fluid) and it took this number of washes/flushes to get a reasonable coloured fluid out of the haldex. Each time I blew through the plastic tube I was using to drain the Haldex to disturb as much sediment as possible.

Additionally when the Haldex was filled did you remove 100ml? It might not be necessary on the modern units, but it was certainly a recommendation of owners for the P2 cars.

Cheers
Bob

Bob, when I did the Haldex on my XC90 ( Haldex 3 ) a couple of weeks ago, I had the rear of the car raised high on ramps and after sucking the old oil out via an electric pump, I removed the Haldex pump, the filter and the pinion oil seal so as a result got a fair amount more out even after I had finished sucking it out.

The pump filter mesh was filthy as was the oil and the separate filter.

I cleaned the pump, fitted a new filter and refilled with fresh oil but my intention is to drain and fill at least a couple more times in the very near future as I'm certain that you are correct about the probable colour of the oil now in the Haldex.

I'll update once I do it re colour of the recently filled oil,

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote