Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 16:20   #1356
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Perhaps 'restoration' was the wrong choice of word, Alan, and I could better have said 're-commissioning' or bringing back to life.

As I see it, 'restoration' can take many forms; from a gentle 'bringing back to health' while preserving the 'patina' of age, which I feel is essentially what you are doing with the R.B., to a full-on, 'better than new', job, which I would personally consider to be, in most cases, a mistake. It is a truism that a car (or anything else, for that matter) can be original only once.

Semantics apart, you said earlier in the thread of your brown brogues that they had been soled and heeled many times. Are they not still the same pair of shoes that you purchased back in nineteen hundred and strawberry jam, but have 'restored' to a wearable condition in order to facilitate your continued enjoyment of them?

That is what I meant by 'restoration', and it chimes well, I think, with what you are doing with the R.B. Whatever you choose to call the process, I think you're doing a great job, with both the car and the thread!

Regards, John.
Thanks John,

Again, that is very kind of you to say so.

I'm quite proud of the RB, it is a car that makes me smile. I like this thread as well, there have been some fascinating contributions (not least from yourself and from Dave).I have learned a great deal since February :-)

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: