Thread: Information: - ETM Court Case
View Single Post
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 21:08   #12
stephen-in-hull
stephen-in-hull

Default Great work

Great work, Andy.

I run too old a Volvo to be personally affected by this issue (until perhaps 2031).

I have three points to raise:

Firstly I'm disappointed that the directors of the VOC have decided not to get involved in this battle with Volvo. The sodality of a club like ours ought to extend to matters of fundamental principle, like this.

Secondly, the unreliability and haphazardly short life of the ETM is quite obviously related to either mis-specification of the rotary resistor by Volvo as OE specifier/purchaser, or inadequacies in its performance in normal duty. For a Volvo main dealer and retailer to find acceptable a failure rate of 6.59% is ludicrous. (Incidentally 40 is not 6.59% of 1,172, it is actually only 3.41% according to my calculation.) A major change from traditional Bowden wires, push rods and simple mechanical linkages that have been tried and tested over the last century, and to go to dangfangled "fly by wire" electronics that are clearly not up to the job is simply bad engineering, bad commercial practice and bad marketing. And at £700 a throw daylight robbery.

Thirdly, if Volvo seeks to sell to the world, why can't each territory be treated with equality? Or is it that the liability consciousness of our litigation-happy trans-Atlantic cousins is what sharpens their corporate minds to allow concessions there?

Quite simply everyone affected by this issue should follow Andy's example, without exageration or hyperbole, and give every seller of Volvo cars firstly the opportunity to make redress, or face similar judgement in the County Courts.

Andy, you ought also to send details of this to Private Eye. Although it is seen by many as a scurrilous rag, it does publish serious corporate incompetances and loves to see justice being done. It also has an exceptionally high quality readership in monied professionals, including many of m'learned friends. Airing the ETM case there to Volvo purchasing readers would further embarrass the Volvo suits.

Private Eye's Email address is

strobes@privateeye.co.uk

And not forgetting that arse Clarkson.

Oh, and if the defendents are slow in coughing up, follow through. There's nothing like sending in the bailiffs to sharpen minds.

Keep up the good work, and don't forget to keep us posted on how things go. Thanks again.
stephen-in-hull is offline   Reply With Quote