View Single Post
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 14:59   #3
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casheye View Post
Hey Peeps,

I'm trying to diagnose an issue with building pressure in the top and bottom radiator hoses. It feels like there's more than would be expected.

If I run the engine while parked, the temp builds up as expected and the hoses stay pretty malleable but for a while the hoses have had almost zero squish in them after a short drive.

I've put a sniffer on the expansion tank which came up fine and there's no sign of anything suspicious and the oil in the head and sump (it's black and not like custard)

I used a bottle of wynns flush and then a bottle of leak stop just in case and it's got a fresh batch blue Ethylene Glycol coolant and there seems to be more squidge in the hoses but that could just be me hoping something's different.

It runs and drives absolutely fine.

I've ordered a inline T adapter for a Stack mechanical temp guage which I'm going to use to see what temp the coolant is getting to as I know the volvo one in the cluster isn't really helpful on that front but is there anything else I can look at to find out why this might be happening?

Cheers.
In my experience, these hoses are preety soft and squeashy, at least when hot. But I guess the concept of pressure in this case is subjective. Also I imagine that the quility of the hose, if they are oem or not might also change the feel. Honestly sometimes when I squeaze one of this, I have the feeling that is empty, so I guess it never really felt very pressurized to me.

I am not sure if crankcase pressure can be felt in the expansion tank/coolant hoses without head gasket failure. Logic tells me it couldn't, but then again I am not a mechanic and so I would test the crank pressure. Have you tried the glove/platic/paper test on the oil intake of the engine to see if the engine is blowing up air? It wouldn't hurt to try. Have you cleaned the PCV box recently?