View Single Post
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 20:56   #1
Vince Shaw

Default S40: battery drained within 48 hrs, go service or not?

This is my first post here, a novice for S40. Hope to get advice from experienced users.
I bought a S40 1.6, MY2003, 63000 miles last Tuesday (live in Finland, non-volvo dealer), drove only twice, last driving was about 40 km, then parked. After 48 hrs, I could not start the car anymore. When I inserted the key, the first two minutes was normal: radio started, fan ran, I took something to the rear luggage and returned to the seat, then I noticed something strange: all the panel lights and warning icons were blinking and beeping, including the red hands on the odometer and engine speed meter. After one or two minutes, the blinking and beep stopped, the SERVICE icon remained there strikingly. I could not start the engine since then, whenever the key was turned to position II, there were warning beep and blinking lights and SERVICE icon. I measured the battery, only 8.5 V. This is the obvious reason, but is this the true and only reason? In my old Volvo 360, if I had flat battery, I got sluggish starter and no engine start but not this kind of fancy warning. I got confused .
Two questions bothered me:
1. Will a simple flat batter trigger such a complete warning call for service?
2. A battery last less than 48 hrs after 40 km driving/recharging even in the summer time, does this suggest something else?
I don't know how old the battery is but at most three years, it is a genuine Volve 60 AH one.
I guess a jump start or re-charge battery may work, but the car is still in the half-year warranty. Should I call service for a flat battery?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Vince
Vince Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote