View Single Post
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 13:36   #5
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelt Guy View Post
I'm about to take delivery of a new XC60 next week and while trying to register a Volvo ID inadvertently ended up on Volvo’s UAS website so just for fun configured an XC60. I expected some regional differences but was quite shocked as to the spec level of a USA car as compared to a UK one.

The USA version of the same Inscription model had as standard the following extra equipment:

Panoramic sunroof
Rear park assist camera
Harmon Kardon premium sound & Apple carplay/android
Blind spot info system
4 zone AC
Electric folding rear headrests

I may have missed a few other minor differences but you will see from the above that this is a considerable list of extras. Just the first 4 items in the Uk would cost almost an additional £3K! Oh and the price for the USA car was $50,000 which is just under £40K whereas the UK model costs at least £44k so another £4k difference in favour of the USA.

Is this just another example of rip of Britain, charge what you can get away with?
UK cars come with 20% VAT included plus a very hefty first registration tax [for cars over £40k list]
Even so UK cars are far cheaper than in many other countries.
Plus the Pound has lost 20% of its value or more against the Dollar, for obvious reasons, over the last three years, which skews your figures radically.