Thread: Amazon: - Coolant Leak- top hose
View Single Post
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 19:58   #14
gothamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Richard;

...a bit late to the party, but I'm happy you got this sorted enough to make it home...it is not clear to me if Tstat housing itself is fractured or if gasket around Tstat somehow failed, or what the precise manner of failure was (remember also for future minor Cooling System failures, that simply removing the Pressure Cap is sometimes enough to stop a pressure leak, and allow continued driving - while monitoring engine Temp carefully)

...in any case, be advised that the rubber gasket sits around Tstat and is preloaded to seal by the recess in Tstat housing...there is NO further gasket required (or should be installed!) between Housing and Cyl Head...in fact, installing one would decrease the preload and intended sealing ability on the rubber Tstat gasket, so don't install one! Do however tighten the Housing securing bolts evenly and don't overtighten, as the cast Alu Housing is brittle and can easily be broken in this manner!

Cheers from Connecticut!
I missed this, been bogged down in work. Getting back to fix the issue- replacing housing. While up there and having swapped the rubber gasket, thinking that was the issue, I ran the engine and let it heat and start cycling through the thermostat. This time I could look closely with the glasses on and about the point of leak I could see the crack. Obvious at that point. Never sealed the housing, understanding the seal made at the rubber gasket. The point about bolts is good as I felt that too tight was bad, but not sure why.
The JB got me home. But that patch lasts that long and after a drive I have drops squeezing out where it can. New housing arrived last week. Full clean and flush of engine is my work here. I hope I can effectively run water with a hose from the rear pipes. I should test the gauge thermostat as well, but if bad it seems difficult to find a replacement.
gothamus is offline   Reply With Quote