View Single Post
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 21:38   #1
kzu

Default V70 2009 won't start, key stuck in ignition

Hi,
I had very little problems with my trusted V70 2.0D over 6 years of ownership but yesterday I've experienced an issue to which I can't find a solution online.
Let me explain what happened.
My wife drives this car to work every day.
Yesterday she left house, got in the car, started as normal and drove to work.
After her shift finished she went to the car, opened doors with remote, got in the car put the key in ignition and pressed start button. All she could hear was clicking sound and car would not start. She could not remove key from ignition. Then she called me. I thought: dead battery.
We called Roadside assistance
Chap arrived 3am with battery booster and tried to start the car. Nothing same clicking sound.
He loaded car in the truck an brought it to my house.
He didn't do any troubleshooting
As it was 3.30 am I decided I will deal with it in the morning
This afternoon friend came with jump leads as I thought this must be dead battery. We tried to start it
We connected the leads gave it few minutes and I tried to start the engine.
Nothing. Clicking sound, key stuck in ignition mode, ignition error on the dash (circle with ignition written across) key would not work, couldn't stop cranking (I heard clicking sound)
I disconnected jump leads and removed wire from negative terminal on battery. Clicking stopped. I connected wire back to battery and it allowed me to remove the key from the car.
I've removed battery to charge it.
I have tried 3 chargers: 1 ctek 3.8A, 2 from Lidl 3.8A and 5.0A
Battery is not charging but it is displaying 12.4V. None of the chargers will allow me to change mode.
I will take battery to nearest Halfords or Kwik Fit tomorrow to test.
Battery is less than 18 months old, it's Varta silver F18 Car Battery > 85ah 800cca, I've ordered it via internet and seller is asking for battery test. Question is, will I be able to test this battery if it is not charging?
What can be wrong with battery? Why it won't charge? Has battery been damaged by something?
I've talked to few workshops and everyone has different suspicion. Bad battery is most common. Others include loose ground wire, bad connection on battery teminal to shorting alternator and dead starter motor.
I can't understand why it would not jump start. Can bad battery be causing this?
I was hoping I will find someone with similar issue on the forums but can't find anything.
Any suggestions what might be wrong here are very much appreciated.
kzu is offline   Reply With Quote