View Single Post
Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 09:11   #7
I-S
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha94 View Post
Xenon's are useless, set way too low and even when set right they don't throw the light any better than the standard lights.
Strongly disagree.

They are set by default way too low, I will not disagree. However, once set correctly they are better than the halogens, and on main beam (which is reasonably regular for me on the country roads I drive on) there is no comparison - the Xenons are WAY better.

The Xenons do not operate in the same way regarding low-beam/high-beam as the Halogens do. On the Halogen you have the H7 bulb that covers the dip-beam/DRL and the H9 that provides main beam. On the Xenon, the D1S Xenon produces the dip beam/DRL AND the shield moves away to allow it to cover the main beam pattern also. In addition to that there is an H7 halogen bulb that illuminates as additional main beam (and acts as the main beam "flash" if the D1S is not illuminated (ie you're set to sidelights)).

The xenon dip/main also turns with the steering. TBH this is a feature that I find neither here nor there, even with my twisty country road drives.

The Xenons also have the advantage that the dip can be flipped over to continental for driving abroad.

As for other things to look for... There's all the usual crash damage etc. On those engines they went through phases of issues with DPFs, so look out for evidence of issues or remedial works. I think between revisions to service routines and software and so on they've mostly resolved the issues. If you do get repeated "soot filter full" messages then if you have no boost leaks and the intercooler is in good nick then check the DPF pressure sensors. They're not terribly expensive parts.

Suspension seems to be fairly weak on these cars - shocks with very limited lifespans, bushing wear, top mount failures.

Fancy things like BLIS, City Safety, etc seem to bring big repair bills if they go wrong. Or if you have a minor front-damage collision, a knock to the radar module can be phenomenally expensive for example.

Wheels/tyres - I prefer the 17" options with 225/50R17, and find a nice soft-sidewalled ballon-like tyre (eg P7 Cinturato Blue, Efficiengrip, Primacy 3) for lovely ride and grip... not the last word in handling, but this is a very front heavy car with mac strut front suspension so it never will be.

Auto boxes - volvo stick with their "sealed for life" mantra on these. The truth is actually "sealed for the life that would be far longer if we actually changed the fluid".
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post: