View Single Post
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 11:18   #9
GMad
Premier Member

Some comments above are indicating different levels of build quality between different manufacturers!
Having installed/replaced/repaired many pieces of kit in most of the European and some American car factories (it's what I do for a living), I can assure you that all the European companies use basically the same machinery, using the same software to control said machinery. The only thing that is different is the building they are housed in (the factory) and the people who actually do the building of the cars in question (the employees).
Therefore in reality the build quality of my S60 is no better than that of a similar aged Ford Mondeo. They are both assembled in big factories in Belgium, from components brought in from a company other than (in this case) Ford or Volvo and screwed together by assembly workers on similar salaries and using machines that are identical.
The badge is the thing here that is making the difference to most people.
Remember even BMW, Mercedes Benz and VAG cars are build using the same machinery as Ford Vauxhall Volvo etc..