View Single Post
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 01:37   #14
pagan8c
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
B+E doesnot allow over 3500kg, grandfather rights or class 2/1 does that. If test passed after 1997 you do not have grandfather rights.
B+E is max train mass 3500kg and trailer cannot exceed weight of tow vehicle.

Xc90 comes in at near 2000kg any caravan over 1500kg MTPM and B+E will not cover it.

At 70 you loose grandfather rights unless you have a class 2 hgv medical. With an xc70 and landrover discovery towing a 1635kg van I'm seriously thinking of taking a class 2 test. If I have to have the medical I may as well have the licence and then there's no question of is it too heavy for my licence.

As for single or twin axil, I ve looked at twin axil but have always baught single. So much easier to manover in a storage yard especially with movers, caravan will pivot around axis if nessesary. Never had a problem towing a single axil, agreed they are slightly less stable but even overtaking a car transporter at motorway speed never caused a moment if set up properly.

Paul.
I read the Gov rules relating to B+E and it says you can drive a vehicle with a 'Mam' up to 3500kgs and tow a trailer. The weight of the trailer after 2013 pass is limited to a 'mam' of 3500kgs. This seems to me to mean that the vehicle and the trailer are 2 separate things and both can weigh up to 3500kgs not as you suggest both together only 'mam' of 3500kgs. I stand to be corrected but if you stick to your way of both together being limited to 3500kgs then there would be no point in taking the B+E licence as a B licence gives you that right as well . Where does it say you lose your grandfather rights (BE on your licence)when you reach 70yrs old?.

Last edited by pagan8c; Aug 23rd, 2018 at 02:03.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote