Thread: V70: General - Are P3 cars "better" than P2 cars
View Single Post
Old Jun 25th, 2016, 20:27   #41
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRapidRooster View Post
Hi to you all. My own personal slant on the heading is initially from a totally different perspective and actually commences with the 850 2.5 10v CD Auto Estate and the Phase1 V70 T5 CD Auto.
I first fell head over heals for the 2.5 10v 850 Estate when I first went self employed and wanted a long distance comfortable cruiser. Then I bought my V70 T5 CD Auto which I ran for 10yrs and 240,000 miles with only the consumables needing replacement.

As a person of rather short stature I found my shift to my first P2 geatronic a bit disconcerting at times - this was/is caused by the shallower rake on the screen coupled with the thicker 'A' pillar and the real in my face driver door mirror. Collectively the create a quite huge visual obstruction and have almost been instrumental in taking-out cyclist and motorcyclists on traffic islands as they approach on the basis that they are the only ones on the road and they have rite of way anyway.

I really liked the simplistic and yet perfectly functional cockpit layout of the Phase1 but I absolute adore the Geartronic function for towing duties and especially on both long ascents and descents with a large twin axle caravan hanging on the back.

I am currently on my 7th Volvo Estate and now my 2nd D5 SE Geartronic.
I have stayed with the 163bhp variant in the D5 because of the less fussy and potentially less problematical engine internals.

Whilst technically the P3 variants are more economical and favoured by the stalwarts of the marque - I personally believe that cosmetically a great-deal was lost when the production of the P2 was ceased.
The rear-end treatment must surely have been designed with little thought to the potential shaking to death of the bulbs in the tailgate.
The 2007 on V70 is really a Ford copy of the previous version . There has been a lot of cost cutting , It is still a fine car, but i would say it has not quite got the quality the two previous V70's had .