Thread: Other 70 Problem: - V70 Auto Dip rear view mirror
View Single Post
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 21:35   #5
Bill_56
Premier Member

I've had mine for a few seasons and, as the nights draw in in September, I swear it'd stopped working, then the dealer disagrees. By mid-winter I've got used to it and all seems fine. I've recently found out that the degree of dimming is software configurable (by dealer), and I'm sure that's my problem. I'll put it to the test when the nights start drawing in again.

The mirror has two sensors, one forward facing - you can see it through the windscreen that detects daylight, which effectively disables the dim in daylight. The other sensor is on the lower edge, facing out the back window, to pick up headlights.

It's easiest to test in daylight. Park the car outside so there's daylight on both sensors then, with engine running, hold you palm tightly over the forward facing sensor, and the mirror should dim, though it can take a long time for the forward sensor to react (up to a minute or two). The rear facing sensor reacts much faster, of course.

If the LCD was leaking I think it wouldn't dim, or it would just dim in patches.

- Bill
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote