View Single Post
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 18:31   #50
andyg
S80 D3 Geartonic 2013

Default The problem is not MOT pass/fail......

Quote: "I changed from one style of Novisght H7 to a later/updated DOT approved version as I didn't realise the first set I installed were not DOT approved."

When you see LED headlight bulbs (size H4, H7 etc) marked "DOT" or "CE" being sold as replacements for traditional incandescent bulbs.... that is a con trick. The original complete light fitting with incandescent type bulb, reflectors, projector lenses etc, is what was qualified by the manufacturer during the design phase of the car as compliant with national and international regulations. Fitting an after market LED bulb is not compliant because retro qualifying them all in the many designs of incandescent type light fittings will not happen. There is absolutely zero in it for the car manufacturers. Thus after market LEDs in headlights are not road legal and probably never will be.

Forget that you might be lucky getting past the next MOT test. But think about talking to the insurance companies, lawyers and courts if you are unlucky enough to have an accident where the police start inspecting your car. (Just saying.)
2000s: 1 x S60 diesel. 1 x S80 diesel.
2010s: 1 x S80 diesel.
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote