Thread: Aircon failing
View Single Post
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 16:28   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Yes, it was an odd day here too... quite sunny and oddly warm during the day (I went out in the Volvo around lunchtime and everything seemed normal) but then the temperatures plummeted under a cloudless sky. Both my cars had visible condensation on the interior glass when I went out for the evening (however only the Volvo was used).

No, I definitely didn't have the recirc on, I did check! I realise that vehicle aircon systems aren't meant to leak, however my long experience with cars tells me that unfortunately they often do need occasional regassing, although at less than 5 years might suggest an abnormal condition possibly involving stone damage or corrosion to the condenser?

I won't be regassing it myself... I did once try this on my Honda Accord using a Halfords can of R134/PAG and it was such a disaster that I returned it for a refund! I'm pretty sure that the legal responsibility is on whoever refills it to satisfy themselves that there is no gross leak before regassing, although they generally rely upon the vac'ing out stage for this confirmation rather than the proper nitrogen pressurisation.

Any idea if there would be any UV dye present before I fit my trusty old UV bulb into my garage lead lamp and poke around looking for glowing blobs?

I've got a long journey this evening. I'll have a play with the AC controls when I'm bored on the motorway.
Yes volvos have the dye in the system from the factory the only condensers which are suspect are the ford based ones .

It is a bit difficult to do a performance test when the Ambient temperature is near zero ... you could put it on and go under the bonnet and feel the two Alloy AC pipes the small one should be warm and the large one noticeably cold like ice .