Thread: 940 ac
View Single Post
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 11:31   #16
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It's possible those old pipes have gone porous where you cut them James so even with compression fittings, they could be leaking round the olives. Only way of getting rid of the leaks is to have the gas that's in it recovered (that will also tell you how much you've lost), vac it down for at least half hour (preferably an hour) then refill the gas with the right amount of compressor oil, leak detector dye (usually a small charge for the dye) and leak sealer (again, usually a small charge) and errrrrr - oh yeah - 950g of R134a gas!

The new gas is R1234a "Solstice" gas and is about twice the price of the old R134a so they're trying to "price condition" people by jacking up the price of the R134a but what they can't condition people for is the fact the Solstice gas loses its effectiveness and tends to leak out after 2 years.

In other words, the sooner you do it, the cheaper it's going to be.
I'm going to get an oil and filter change and gearbox drain and refill at a garage I use in Birmingham on Thursday, so while there I'll get them to evacuate the AC and see how much its lost!

I'll also ask them how much they would charge to re-gas one changed pipes, and O rings to a larger size.

It definately needs a leak sealer, a good idea!
Probably wont do it for a month as may be working on a bungalow for an old client.

Not good news on the gas! Especially if prone to leak!

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post: