Thread: 940 ac
View Single Post
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 22:20   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
The Garage did my oil and filter change and auto gearbox drain and refill with my supplied parts.

The chap connected the AC machine to the AC port and switched the machine on and there was nothing to extract. Machine said empty! Tried it twice!
So a massive leak or leaks!

Probably not worth trying again as suspect really needs new evaporator, compressor/ rebuilt and all seals replacing. Probably £400 to spend!
In the past had hissing from under the dash when switched AC off and sometimes a wiff of the refrigerant. Think evaporator could be the big leak.

Certainly felt more smooth with the new 10w 40 semi synthetic oil and the gearbox oil.

James
The hissing under the dash is just the vacuum system working, also the gas expands when it enters the evaporator and is then sucked out into the compressor which creats a partial vacuum inside the system - there's a his as this equalises when the A/C is turned off.

Chances are, purely on a likelihood of being damaged through use, the condensor is the leaky bit, not too expensive on a 2/7/9xx or any of the umpteen other cars that uses the same one! Usually about £60-80 depending on supplier but that was the price last time i checked - may have altered since!

Given the previous lot said the system was intact and charged you £Arms & legs to fill it, i think you have some sort of redress on them.

By the way, FYI the refrigerant has no odour but reacts with a lit cigarette to produce cyanide gas as you inhale. If you smoke and you're still here to tell the system is empty, it's a reasonable bet the leak isn't inside the cabin!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote