Thread: Other XC90 Problem: - loss of power with no fault code
View Single Post
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 22:46   #13
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike xc90 d5 View Post
Yes, I have always had the fuel problem. I always had the sluggish acceleration but now its got worse. The hum hum hum noise only came 3 weeks ago. It sounds like it out of tune. Today I noticed a new thing, after letting go of the pedal when traveling at 30mph approaching a red light I can hear engine tappets out of rhythm. It's not very loud but strange. I am just putting this down to what ever fault I have got. I took out warranty direct when I bought the car, so I will have to wait another month before I can make a claim. In the mean time I might gets the code read one more time. Also been on the forums for a while, there was another member with similar problems who had his egr cleaned. And apparently that sorted his problem. Either way whatever changes are made I will keep you updated, I'm sure it will help someone out there. At the moment I am working on a process of elimination. also I too have also read that reconditioned injectors are tricky and can make things worse.
Hi Mike, it is always difficult to diagnose from afar but I've been reading this thread since it was started and now I've just re-read it a couple of times through. Now I've got a theory about this, it is only a theory and may well be barking up the wrong tree but here goes:

When was the car last serviced and where do you normally fill up?

My belief this could be down to muck in your fuel tank and your current problem due to a semi blocked fuel filter?? This could explain the hum (fuel starvation) and the tappety sound you are getting could be the injectors injecting with very little fuel or no fuel.

With my theory it could also be a possible explanation on why injector number 3 had low flow (blocked with crap).

For all a fuel filter costs (and sorry don't want you to spend your money un-necessarily) I think it would be a good idea to change it and see if it makes any difference.

I know you say it has full service history but if you look at the service sheets when was the fuel filter last changed? All the servicing in the world still won't stop someone possibly filling up from a fuel can (especially an old jerry can type) and this just pouring loads of debris into the tank.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote