View Single Post
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 11:19   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantean View Post
Just took my 240 GL estate for an MOT, failed on 2 corrosion points. suspension mounting offside rear and nearside rear wheel arch. Was a bit surprised as there was no mention on last years MOT (different owner) about anything rust related. Had a look myself and admittedly doesn't look great but wondering if anyone here with experience would confirm if it's really that terrible.
Guy also said their welder said it would be at least 500 quid worth of work which seems a bit excessive, never had to tackle this kind of problem before though so I don't know.

What do you think?
Also if anyone knows a reputable, reasonable welder in South London or anywhere in London that would be fantastic
many thanks
That has been developing for the last 10 - 15 years or so , From your pictures none of that is structural , the jacking point may not be much good but certainly not a fail . a Fail can only be issued if it affects the actual chassis or is within 300 mm of a suspension mounting point . A car has to be pretty bad these days to be issued with a fail certificate . If you plan on keeping the car get it properly checked over and get the rust fixed . £500 is reasonable for this kind of work … It is not just welding it requires metal sheet to be constructed , bent and shaped .