7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scw View Post
Ok, fuel consumption over 3,800 miles is, according to the trip computer,
34.1mpg. With petrol being cheaper than diesel it probably costs about
the same (in fuel) to run as my XC60 D5. Engine start-stop on the V40 also
helps I suppose.

The car is mainly used for tootling around the local area (school run, trips into
town, etc) with the occasional longer trip. Hence why a diesel wasn't appropriate
due to the potential for DPF issues.

It's fun to drive - handling is well sorted, not surprising given its Focus base.
The cabin is quiet though doesn't match the XC60 for lack of road noise at speed.

I've always liked the power delivery of diesels but I reckon small, turbocharged
petrol engines have caught up in that regard. So I'll be interested to see how
the new VEA petrol engines perform, especially when our XC60 is up for
replacement (which will be a while yet!).
My T3 geartronic, has replaced a V50 lux drive MY10 which covered 114k miles, all on motorway which I was using for business.
That car had the earlier 16v diesel and was the better of the two V50s I've had. It averaged 65mpg over its life never failed me and was usual Volvo comfort build quality.
The V40 is purely a luxury as I now have a top of the range Mondeo diesel as co car (pretty good by the way). I expect to do no more than 6-7k miles a year so with this mileage petrol is the way foreward.
The car is cheaper to insure and service much more fun to drive.
The D2 has a very low power band compared to the petrol, so whilst economy will be better, it would not be that much better in terms of ownership costs. Incidently, there is also the chance of regeneration issues if not driven and used properly. None of that with a petrol.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 7050man For This Useful Post: