View Single Post
Old Jun 8th, 2018, 19:50   #7
Billggski

The 1.6 engine is one of the most popular diesel engines ever made, in millions of cars including minis, peugeots, citroens and Fords as well as Volvos, the earlier 16v engine didn't react well to poor servicing, clogging oil ways if not changed or using cheap oil.
So it got a bad name, and ill informed comments about unreliability started to appear on forums. Usually by people who never owned one, and the later 8v engine has shown none of these problems.
The motoring press, who drive many cars a week, have always liked them.

"And the last reason I’m liking the Volvo is the engine. The D2 model has a 1.6-litre 113bhp four-cylinder diesel (the D3 and D4 versions get 2.0-litre five-cylinder diesels). That’s not the kind of engine you’d normally get excited about, but it’s so much stronger than the figures suggest. It’s brisk, quiet, refined, and best of all I’m getting 50mpg. Fifty! I’ve never got 50mpg out of any car – ever – before. Admittedly Volvo reckons the car can achieve 78mpg (combined), so I’m still lousy compared to the claimed figure – but I don’t care. Every other driver on earth is in the same boat." Autocar
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote