View Single Post
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 20:29   #5
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strepsi View Post
Hi, appreciate there maybe other posts relating to this, but. I was wondering if anybody could offer suggestions as I am getting very confused. My wife and I are buying two bikes, stupidly I thought it would be straight forward task to by a bike rack, I actually thought it would be a case of buying a rack off the shelf! I have been advised by the guy in the shop that we would need to get one that involves a tow bar, I have no interest in towing anything so a tow bar appears to be a little excessive and a further expense that I hadn't factored in.

Would really appreciate any ideas on whether I should go for roof rack or bike rack that may not require a tow bar, if so what would people recommend.

Regards
Putting bikes on the roof of an XC90 would be much easier and cheaper than a hitch mounted bike rack, but would put them way up and in danger of hitting low hanging branches. It would also be a lot of trouble to get the bikes on and off.

A tow bar on a Volvo is an expensive item totalling almost $US 1000, part and labor. This is not including the cost of the bike holder which fits to the tow bar. The European tow bar is a different design, but still must be very costly.

I suggest you might try putting the bikes inside the vehicle, at least until you find that you are doing enough biking to justify getting a towbar and bike holder.

Do these bikes have quick release wheels?

Last edited by Jim314; Sep 11th, 2012 at 22:31. Reason: typo
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote