View Single Post
Old Feb 6th, 2016, 18:46   #52
lenjo

Default Code readers

Is there a recommended (affordable) code reader on the market, with which I can sort out or (at least try to) track down a strange fault on my XC70 (2006 model).

It's a problem of a loud noise coming through the speakers, like a hum or buzz. This noise is not coming through the dashboard speaker and is being amplified by the under-seat amplifier. Removal of the fuse supplying the amplifier clears the noise from that source. I have checked (replaced) the amplifier and bench tested it and the HU850 radio, whilst checking the interconnecting screened cable.

The noise is coming from the CAN-BUS. The radio and the amplifier, including cable were set up on my bench with a power supply and all performed perfectly, however when both set-ups were connected into the car, the noise was still present.

I asked my non-Volvo dealer garage (an excellent repair set-up I will add) to check it with their OBD reader, the codes were erased (only cost me £5 by the way) this cleared up the noise and all was well. Unfortunately, a few days later I was driving along and the fault returned. So I am now looking for a similar code reader in order that I can track the cause of this fault down.

If anyone has a unit that can do this could they get in touch with me and I can check what unit to buy in order to track this fault down at my leisure.

I live in Newport in South Wales.

Regards,

Lenjo
lenjo is offline   Reply With Quote