View Single Post
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 10:17   #35
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
I'm not against electronic dipstick systems, in fact most of us are happy to be reliant upon the fuel gauge. It's just that this engine oil level system used by Volvo does NOT present an accurate indication of the oil level, despite the sensor element having an apparent sensitivity of 1%... it seems to have been dumbed down to avoid the need for any operator interpretation, merely giving a 'min' or 'max' indication as a threshold is crossed.

And why must it be reset at every oil change? If the sump is fully drained, then refilled with the correct volume of fresh oil each time then surely the sensing system must give the correct level indication? Unless it drifts over time, it which case it seems wrong to claim a 1% accuracy?

It's almost like Volvo would prefer owners to just take the car to their nearest dealer whenever a warning message is given...
I am absolutely against it 100%. Manually a dipstick is a tube with a rod pushed in. How does it fail? How do you misread it? Putting electrical sensors in and having them calibrated is absurd. I would go as far as to say I wouldn’t want a vehicle with that set up.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote