Thread: Body/Trim: 70: - Rust on 1998 V70 Tdi
View Single Post
Old May 4th, 2019, 12:44   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post
When I went to examine the rear exhaust hanger on my 1998 V70 Tdi, I noticed a depressing amount of rust on the section to which the exhaust hanger is attached. So far as I can tell by tapping and poking, the underyling metal is still sound...at the moment. The rest of the car is perfectly sound.

Ovbiously it's only going to get worse. I should welcome opinions on what the current thinking is on how best to deal with it.

I was thinking along the lines of wire brushing and grinding out as much rust as possible, applying one of the proprietry rust converters, priming, a topcoat and then an underseal/stonechip protection.

If the metal is too far gone, then it will be a welding job which is beyond my abilities.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your thoughts please?

Many thanks

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi Auto 224,000 miles
2008 V70 2.4D Auto 109,000 miles
If you had said that 10 years ago you could have caught it , but new members need welding in now ... It is a wonder the MOT have not made notes for the last few years ... You would think the heat from the exhaust would keep the area dry but it seems to be the opposite in encouraging rust .. has the car been near the sea or off the road for a number of years ?