View Single Post
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 18:29   #4
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011dandd View Post
Hi everyone

I realise there are lots of different opinions on part synthetic fully synthetic oils etc etc.

Yes. One could paper the walls with oil opinions. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I think it depends how you are going to use the car now. What I would not recommend is changing to some expensive fully synthetic oil now - that would be a recipe for oil leaks. If you are going to use it as a daily driver then it would be a good idea to carry on using the same as the PO, which was probably a semi-synthetic 10W40 or something similar. As long as you change it every 10,000 miles the brand doesn't matter much (in my opinion, I'm sure someone will say you have to buy some expensive brand...), so I'd suggest buying whatever Asda or Tesco has on sale.

If you are going to do very few miles in the car - perhaps it is going to be a hobby or project car and so drive 2-3,000 miles/year you might consider doing the same as I have with the Royal Barge and going back to a 20W50 mineral oil, which is probably what it left Gothenburg with in the sump. I've found 20W50 to be very good for an older car (the RB is 40) - but then I change it every 2-3,000 miles:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=888

The RB neither leaks or burns any oil using 20W50 (it had a slight weep from the rear crank seal when I got it (the PO had used 10W40 semi-synthetic)). 20W50 mineral oil is as cheap as chips (I think I bought 3 gallons of Comma oil for about £17 in someone's sale so I have enough to last until 2023).

Just my thoughts - enjoy your motor car.

Alan

That so far as I can see sums things up very well indeed. I'm planning to change to 20 50 mineral myself. I've used up a stock of slightly more modern oil.

If you go for any form of synthetic please be careful. Someone, I think it is David, might explain to us again that Synthetic Technology as a label ain't always what it might seem to be.

One other little thing to avid leaks. When replacing the sump drain plug, always use a new copper washer ("gasket"). I have not used a torque wrennch on any other car's sump plug but this one has a setting so I use it, why not. 44 ft lb. Famous last words my 240's sump plug has not leaked.

Please enjoy your car.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post: