View Single Post
Old Nov 11th, 2020, 06:46   #9
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011dandd View Post
Would a 10w 50 mineral oil be ok use with the miles I’ll be doing? I tend to change oil and filter every 6000 on my cars
For a daily driver doing 14,000 miles/year I'd tend to stick with what the PO has used - I'd be surprised if it isn't 10W40 semi-synthetic oil, and that would be entirely suitable for your intended use.

I'm not sure I've come across 10W50 mineral oil - but if you have some you could use it instead of 20W50, it just means it is thinner when the oil is cold, which helps cold cranking a bit (but that tends not to be a problem for red block engines).

Here is the viscosity chart (if is from the RB's MY1980 handbook, but your engine will be similar):

... as you may see, both 10W40 and 20W50 are well within the range for our climate (the +30C to -10C column).

Whether you decide on a 20W50 mineral oil or a 10W40 semi-synthetic doesn't matter all that much, either are within the range of suitable grades for the UK's climate, the key (in my opinion, for what that is worth) with an older engine is regular and frequent changes. The piston rings won't be making as effective a seal as they were 220,000 miles ago, so the oil will gradually get diluted with fuel; mechanical parts will be getting a bit worn so tolerances will be getting larger and metal particles more common. Changing the oil every 6,000 miles (or 6 months in your case) would be sensible. In my opinion it is far better to buy cheap oil and change it frequently than it is to use expensive oil and leave it a long time.

Someone suggested Castrol GTX for your car above, that would be entirely suitable, and I've sometimes seen it on sale (in supermarkets) at a really good price.

It is sensible to change the drain plug washer when you change the oil - every other change is probably okay. They only cost a pound or two.

Regarding filters: these are common user items, I think the last one I fitted was by Comline (because it was cheapest at the time I suspect). If you change the filter with the oil every 6,000 miles/6 months I don't think it matters which one you buy: they do a really simple job as long as they are changed frequently.

This was a long winded way of saying the most important thing is to change the oil frequently on an older engine: no more than every 6,000 miles or 6 months as you are using it as a daily driver. As the car is new to you, perhaps it would be a good idea to change it after the first 3,000 miles of your ownership to make sure everything is as it should be. Smell and feel the oil you take out (you are smelling for petrol, feeling for particles), see if the level goes up or down and look in the rocker box to see if there is any water emulsion.

Enjoy your motor car.

Alan

PS. It is impressive that you will be using a 220,000 mile car as a daily driver for 14,000 miles/year. Chapeau!

Last edited by Othen; Nov 11th, 2020 at 07:59. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: