View Single Post
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 08:49   #14
Green440wedge

Some interesting comments, thanks. CheshireD5 and Clan, yes I am sure the most certain choice is the Volvo oil, spec 97337, and just 2 litres of it. Perhaps it can last 200K miles + but I think an oil change at 113K miles is sensible. What's in it can't be as good as fresh oil of the right quality, 18 years and 113K miles must have caused a degree of wear to the oil.

AndyV70's comments are interesting and are along the lines of my view as I'll be filling it with GL4 75W80 fully synthetic.

I think the reason Comma state they do not market an oil to this Volvo spec is possibly because they make it for Volvo? They buy from Esso I think, Esso refine the stuff, and independants like Comma add an additive pack. Or perhaps they just buy bulk "own label" and then bottle it with their own labels, labels for others (car manufacturers), or sell it on to other smaller independant marketeers.

I am not sure that it is possible to buy poor quality new motor or transmission oil now in the UK, I think it is supplied by just a few main oil refineries.

The stuff I will be using meets the following spec:

API - GL-4
ZF - TE-ML 01L, 02L, 08, 16K,
TE-ML 02A, 02B, 02D, 02E
Mercedes Benz - 235.4
Volvo - 97305, 97307
Military - MIL-L-2105

If it ruins my gearbox I'll let you know. But given that Carlube used to specify 75W90 GL4 and EP I think at that, I can't imagine it will harm it at all and that it will prove to be a quality lubricant.
Green440wedge is offline   Reply With Quote