View Single Post
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 08:21   #28
palwing

Hi Green Van Man. By the way, I used to be a white van man “in a previous life”. The company Merc Sprinter was awesome when loaded up, but a nightmare when light as the back end skipped all over the place. This was in the days before trackers and speed restrictors were fitted by employers. Loved it.

Anyway. Yes, you are right about no go areas. One example I have come across is a place called L’Ariane just north of Nice in south east France. My French colleague told me never to even drive through there. If you Google it and look at some photos, I think you will see why. I have mentioned before, the UK has some beautiful places and I rank them as enjoyable as many beautiful places I have seen abroad. But as you point out, it is often more about people rather than just location. Couldn’t agree more.

As for tipping. Always a tricky subject for us Brits. I tend to tip at “local rates”. However, if I experience extra good service, then I tend to be more generous. In many countries, such as you mention, tips are their main source of income and I always keep that in mind. However, you raise a good point about altering their “status quo”. Personally I would rather be happy with my conscience than my wallet and tip accordingly.

Integration is an interesting conundrum and this country is a fine example of how it does not always happen. But we are not openly allowed to discuss that without digging up a can of worms. So best left avoided. As I wrote once in a letter published in a travel magazine, “there are those that do and those that don’t as well as those that will and those that just won’t”. It sort of makes sense I hope and for whatever reason, some just like to live as “Brits abroad” (Spain?) where as we on the other hand, like to embrace the local culture where able. Language barriers are often broken down easily over a few glasses of the local tipple and a lot of hand gesticulations. Usually very humorous for both parties. Saying that, learning local customs and the pitfalls of what is offensive or not is always a nightmare. Learning “please and thank you” in their language often goes a long way.

At the end of the day, differences in Culture seems to be a major stumbling block, rather than individuals themselves. When one culture fails to accept the culture of their host and import their interpretation into their new “home”, I feel that is where the problems begin. But once again, I am touching on dodgy ground, so will leave it there.

Have a good day and drive safely? It’s very busy out there, so I hear.

Last edited by palwing; Sep 17th, 2020 at 08:24.
palwing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to palwing For This Useful Post: