View Single Post
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 16:40   #3
TheLeeds

There are two temperature sensors on that engine. One's for the guage, and the other is to tell the ECU when the engine's cold, so it can alter the mixture. If the engine warms up and the mixture stays as rich as it was when cold, you could get a high idle, and a misfire. It's similar to having the choke button out on an old car when hot. The car almost drives itself, drinks petrol, fouls the plugs and runs uneven.

Other than this, have you checked the plug connector on the idle control valve ? They're usually fine, but if the connections are dirty or rusty, this might cause a problem. With the ignition switched on (and engine off), if you plug and unplug the icv, you should be able to hear it move.

Is the throttle position switch ok ? I once forgot to reconnect it after doing a head gasket on one of those engines, and it ran quite rough.

Another thing that can upset them is the crankshaft postion sensor, which is on top of the bellhousing, below the distributor cap. I'm not aware of them being particularly troublesome, but the wiring connectors for it are under the pipes for the screenwasher jets and if the non return valves leak, water can drip onto the sensor. I had this happen on a 2.3 lpt and it made the engine stall, and put the engine managment light on.