View Single Post
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 10:56   #1
Brit In Norway
Brit In Norway

Cool XC70 2001 Dead cluster and dead climate control

Hi guys. A Brit working on the top of a snow covered hill in Norway, running with spiked winter tyres for the snow until May, and I have a dead cluster, and a dead climate control unit (also no illumination to the automatic gear shift position). It was a sudden problem, and not intermittent. They all died without warning, and have remained dead.

It's a 2001 XC running on petrol with an LPG system installed. It's done 410000 km and I'm struggling to find a wiring diagram.
I've checked the fuses in the side wall of the dashboard by the drivers seat. All fuses are ok, but some have no power to the fuses.
The ones with no power are:
Fuse 7 front heated seats
Fuse 8 front heated seats
Fuse 24 climate control / instrument clusters/ power seat driver
Fuse 26 climate control fan

The fuse 23 for the light switch /climate control module OBD steering wheel modules has power.
The fuse 32 for the central electronic module / ECPS/courtesy lamps /glove box lamp, has power.

Everything else on the car is working ok. Car runs fine. I'm hoping that I can find a bad ground or connector that would affect the power to those fuses, and hopefully it isn't a damaged module. The cost of parts here is beyond belief !

I've tried disconnecting the battery and contacting the positive and negative cables for 30 seconds, but still no joy. I've tried turning the car on and off 5 times too.
I've stripped the ignition switch to make sure all f the contacts were clean, and getting power, but the diagram I used was for a 2007 model :-)

Stuck on this hill on a long winter working outside on the car isn't my best experience and not having the warm air to clear the screen is a bit frustrating. I'm managing to keep to the speed limits by using a sat nav plugged into the cigarette lighter power socket :-) and at least the radio works fine (if they didn't keep playing abba songs :-)

Any advice you can give (not relating to changing the radio station) would be truly appreciated. I'm not sure if there is a relay or fuse that gives power to those fuses which are dead ? I did find a wire hanging down by the accelerator peddle, which runs from behind the steering column console to the fuse box where those dead fuses were located, and wonder if that could have been damaged?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by Brit In Norway; Jan 16th, 2020 at 10:58. Reason: Typo
Brit In Norway is offline   Reply With Quote