View Single Post
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 17:48   #4
FlyNavy

OKay further info -

Today I tested the Turbo Control vacuum just to make sure my loss of power was not related to that and it was just the EGR at fault. I crimped the vacuum line to the engine mounts to create the vacuum *and engine noise patter with oil cap removed went down as should do when vacuum is present) and I still had the power loss. So back to the EGR.

After doing this I got the P0403 error back again as well as having the P0489, so I looked into the solenoid error on EGR (as perhaps that is leading to the other error) and I found the cable chaffed a bit (that attachs to the EGR Solenoid Valve), through the outer layer and some of the copper strands broken but still intact.
See pictures in post below
Another weird thing is in the other picture of where the power lead attaches too has a + sign on the top and I would assume the +positive power cable is meant to be at that side of the connector, however on using the voltage meter I found the +pos to be the other side! (I have not had these faults before and this has not changed so must be fine, just confusing that + sign on the housing does not refer to the +pos on the power lead)

Anyway with car running I got 10.98V and when car off with ignition on 8.48V, as soon as I tested and turned car off, it trickled down to 8.48 from the 10.98, it was not instant.
Should this be the full 12V? Is the damaged wire causing voltage loss, I'd have thought even if the wire was half the thickness it would still carry the full 12V so a few strands gone of the copper should not lower the Voltage?

Am I right that the Valve provides vacuum to the solenoid somewhere else on the EGR? I see solenoids can be bought but are they actually part of the EGR itself, so if I got the EGR with stepper motor on it (not needing the cooler) that will have the solenoid in it?

Last edited by FlyNavy; Dec 11th, 2019 at 18:21. Reason: picture did not upload so referencing to next post
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote