Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 21:17   #2123
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Now you're being naughty Alan - putting tempting toys like that in front of me!

Joking aside, i've already got its less expensive brother with the plastic instead of stainless.

Assuming the electronic back-bone of it is the same, the battery is an LR44/AG13 and they don't like being stored in cold areas such as garages, workshops, sheds etc. For that reason i keep mine indoors, in my hobby-desk area of my bedroom where my soldering stuff usually lives plus a few basic hand tools neessary for the occasional electronic project.

I also bulk buy the batteries as once they start to get low, their remaining lifespan is incredibly short. If they are the same batteries, these are nice and cheap :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-X-AG13...K/283867761960

As it stands so far, i've found no benefit in using brand name batteries over the unknown Chinese versions except to the sellers profits. Even working on a 20% DOA rate for the cheap ones (never had it that high to be honest) they last just as long as say a Maxell, Panasonic or similar. Not tried a Duracell but doubt it would fare any better, after all the physical size is against it to start with!
Given that you're getting 10 batteries for under 22/- delivered that seem to last just as long as the more expensive ones that you only get one of for more money and you have plenty of time to get more once you run low, it makes no sense to me spending on the posh stuff for this.

Low battery is indicated by a flashing display and it can still be used for a while after that first appears.

Just for the record when i bought mine some 10 ish years ago, i paid about the same and the stainless versions were about £30 so you've got a comparative bargain!
Many thanks for the tips about the batteries Dave - I think keeping it inside with my micrometer in the watch/mobile phone toolbox is sensible.

I think you are right about the battery: AG13; they are also available (Kodak branded) from £land on a card with 5 each of AG1/AG3/AG4/AG10/AG12/AG13 - 30 useful batteries for a pound can't be bad!

What a world we live in - a high quality tool (that I should have bought years ago instead of taking do) for under a twenty, and 1.5v batteries for 3p each - and people still moan :-)