Thread: Electrics: - Headlights standard to bi-xenon
View Single Post
Old Sep 13th, 2020, 20:54   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I'll be slightly more blunt than the above - forget it.

The ABL headlights weren't fitted to XC90's pre-facelift (2007MY) the earlier models had reflector based HID lamps. These were an improvement on the halogen ones but not nearly as good as ABL's.

They type of headlight system is programmed into the CEM (central electronic module) and cannot be changed afterwards, not even by a dealer, so it would be cheaper to buy a later car than retrofit the ABL system (on the basis that anything is technically possible, but probably not practical).

The point above brings me on to your next problem - you cannot simply fit earlier HID headlamps in the place of halogens as the electrical switching is different. At best they will work but you will get error messages on the dash constantly, usually they don't work at all or flicker and come on and off whilst driving.

If you get one with halogen lamps you could get CANBUS compatible HID or LED H7 conversions but they're not legal (in the UK anyway)...

So your practical option is keep the headlights very clean and get some Osram nightbreakers or PIAA Hyper Arros H7 upgrades.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote