Thread: XC90: - Nightmare xc90!
View Single Post
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 08:33   #8
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
If the garage is going on the classic corroded pipes + pump + steering rack which is often needed when the corroded pipe issue occurred then 600 is reasonable. The fact the car has volvo service history to me is pointing that way. As I said earlier fluid change is not a service item for power steering nor auto box, in fact volvo say it's not nessesary.

The power steering fluid went a dirty brown colour as it fails rather than the green it was when new, it turned brown as the anti corrosion hinhibitors died so while working well as a power steering flu I'd it ate the pipes because the inhibitors died.

It's possible the coolant is also dieing on that age car, again dirty brown and inhibitors are dead even if it passes an antifreeze test. Replacement coolant from volvo doesnot suffer the same aparently, I still change it every 5 years and check it's colour regularly. It most certainly is not the same stuff as earlier Volvo's fill and forget any more.

Paul.
600 for a steering rack would be far to cheap, a recon rack would be more than that.

I am interested in your comments reference fluid however. I am going to make an effort to check mine and if in any doubt I will change it,

Thanks
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote